Pages

Saturday, December 5, 2015

blogging from the train

This week has been an adventure. I have been a applying to jobs, going to interviews, basically just chipping away at my fairly small comfort zone. 

Public transportation...this is new! In Utah I never took public transportation, really the only experience I have had with it is the couple times I have been to DC and once every few years at Christmas time when we ride the traxs around Salt Lake. So, moving to San Francisco and figuring out how to get around via train, bus, uber, ect, is crazy! 

Monday I went to a job interview in the city and had a semi-traumatic time getting lost on my way home. It was cold, I was hungry, I was in a scary place with seriously the roughest people I have ever seen, and my phone battery died. Not a good combo. I made it home and vowed I would not be taking the train alone ever again. 

Tuesday I got a hefty parking ticket and vowed I would never drive again....soooo, what's a girl to do?

I have faced the fact that I need to embrace this public transportation thing. So, I have made a list of reasons I love it.

1 - People watching. You see literally every type of person on the train. Students, old people, families, business people, homeless people, all the people. It helps me keep an open mind, and people are just really entertaining. 

2- It's cheap. No chance of $90 parking tickets. 

3- It's part of the city experience, and I want to soak it up while we are here. 

(Me being excited, not terrified about my train experience..)

I had an interesting experience on the train today. There was a pretty rough looking guy sitting across the isle from me. He was talking pretty loudly and so I had no choice but to listen to the conversation he was having with the man next to him. It went a little something like this....

Gabe: " Dude, have you ever been to church? "
Friend: " No, have you?"
Gabe: "I just started going a few weeks ago, it's the best! Seriously, finding faith in Christ is the best thing that has ever happened to me. Have you ever prayed? It actually works!!!!" 
Friend: " Nice man..." (gets off the train...)

I found this conversation pretty awesome and strange because usually it's just silence on the train...you don't usually hear people talking about how jazzed they are about the gospel! So Gabe must have noticed me ease dropping on his conversation because he came and sat next to me and introduced himself. He said, "Hey, did you know that Jesus Christ loves you?" I told him I did, and for the next few minutes we shared with each other our testimonies of the gospel. This guy has experienced and done a lot of bad things, but to hear his excitement and love for what the gospel has recently done for him was beautiful and a great reminder for me. The gospel is truly for everyone. 

He shared with me a scripture from Ephesians and I shared with him this 'Because of Him' video. For the rest of the day I felt so happy and gained a renewed excitement to share the gospel everywhere I go. I'm trying to paint my little black missionary badge on my heart. 

So, thank you public transportation for that little, but meaningful reminder!

Now go watch this video because it is my favorite of ALL TIME. 

1 comment:

  1. This post is everything to me. I have countless memories of talking to people on the metro about the gospel. And to hear about this random guy! Ah so good!

    ReplyDelete