Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

life lately.

Lately, life for us has consisted of a lot of work. Miles is experiencing his first busy season which means he worked 63 hours last week! Whoa. I'm super proud of him for how hard he works. I literally couldn't do it! Just witnessing him do it makes me tired.

My job is going great. We fix peoples teeth and I meet interesting people every day, I love it! Here is my lovely "view" from my window at work. Beautiful, isn't it?
Oh bad news, I got my 3rd parking ticket in the last 3 months last week. I'm am learning all the parking laws the hard way I tell ya!
 On Friday Miles got off work a little earlier than usual so we headed into the city for a fun date. We went to a restaurant that my Mom had seen on Food Network and had suggested to us. She clearly didn't know where it was located though, we found ourselves in the heart of the sketchy part of the city. Somehow that area has all the good food! Showdogs was worth the scary walk through the Tenderloin!
We had a polish corn dog which we watched them batter and fry right in front of us, parmasean garlic fries, and an amazing fried chicken sandwich. It was all fried and salty and they had great sauces, so I literally can't think of anything I would love more!
On the walk back to the car we were offered weed by a scary fellow. Proud to say that the DARE program worked for Miles and I, we kindly declined. Ha!

^ my mouth is watering just looking at this.

After dinner we went rock climbing at Chrissy Field. It is a great climbing gym located right next to the Golden Gate Bridge...AND Mia Thermopolis works there in The Princess Diaries. Rad. It was  a good time and reminded us how much we love and miss rock climbing.

 Saturday Miles had to work all day, so I met him in the city at his office that night. I walk into the office to find this: the coolest view (seriously! whoa!) and my face on three computer monitors. I was embarrassed and secretly flattered that his coworkers see that every day.


We spent the evening in the city with some friends from our ward and waiting two hours at a restaurant for the worlds best pizza. Once again, worth it!

Sunday was great. One of our favorite things about living here is getting to know the missionaries and being able to work with them. We love having them for dinner and teaching with them. It brings back so many memories of the awkwardness and joy of being a missionary! Last night we had the Sister Missionaries over for dinner, they really brought a spirit into our home that I need and love so much. We are so lucky we get to spend time with them! 

Something I have been thinking a lot about lately is the Sabbath day. Our church leaders have been reminding us and urging us so strongly lately to remember that the Sabbath day must be different from the rest of the week and it must be holy. 
I have always enjoyed Sunday and the rest and spiritual rejuvenation it can bring me, but it never seemed like that big of a deal to me in the past. I have wondered why our church leaders have been making a such a big deal about it. Lately though, I have gained a special appreciation for the Sabbath Day. I am so far from perfect, but I have been trying to make small changes to make my Sunday a special day set apart from the world, and it has made all the difference. Especially living in this crazy busy city with a billion things to do and see, it is so nice that Heavenly Father gave us a commandment to rest, think, ponder and strive to reconnect with him and our families again. I can't imagine a life without the sabbath. It truly is a delight!

Miles and I listened to this talk about the sabbath day the other night and loved it, so I thought I would share. It put the power and seriousness of keeping the Sabbath Day holy into a new light.
Listen or read it HERE

Now on to a fresh new week. I'll finish this off with a quote from Miles' little brother Trevor who is on his mission, 

"We have almost survived another January, glory halleljuah."

:)

6 comments:

  1. wow your life is so aesthetically pleasing
    also when i saw your instagram of rock climbing I was really hoping it was "rocks around the clock" from the princess diaries. so yay.
    i like your blog so much, carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing blog. I love it. You two are having some wonderful experiences. I am proud of your comments about the Sabbath day. Love to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi carrie! So nice to come across your blog! We need to hang out with you guys again! We enjoyed our hippie meal at the hippie neighborhood ;) Looks like both our hubbies are experiencing the busiest season but we'll make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read through this entire post and completely missed the second half because my mind was stuck on those Parmesan garlic fries. They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 100% jealous of that work view.

    ReplyDelete